PowerPAC Performing Arts Companies
Accolades & Achievements: Videos linked Here!
Pre-Competitive Companies: Tiny Twinklers and Starlettes
No audition necessary! Members of the Tiny Twinklers and Starlettes Performance Companies have the opportunity to perform locally four times per year. Dancers participate in one regional competition, our annual Nutcracker ballet, the Company Concert and Spring Recital. Classes for Levels II/III meet two times per week for a total of 2-3 hours.
Performing Arts Company FAQs
What is the mission of the Dance.tech PowerPAC team?
It is our mission to inspire self-confidence, discipline and respect for the performing arts in the developing dancer. Our goal is to give each dancer the tools they need to be well prepared, whether they choose to pursue a professional dance career or have other artistic goals. Members of the PowerPAC team are role models in the community, performing at local festivals, participating in charity and arts events, and competing at the regional and national level. The dance education of our PowerPAC students contributes to the development of responsible, determined and creative adults.
Is there a place for every student on the team?
Yes, all PAC dancers Levels IV-VIII perform in the all-company Jazz Production Routine. Dancers may be placed in additional Jazz Company groups and optional routines in various styles. Dancers must have at least one year of previous experience and are required to take a weekly technique class in the style of all competition routines.
How do you become part of the PowerPAC?
Auditions are held over the summer during our Inferno Intensive (July 13-17, 2020) for dancers in Levels IV-VIII. Students are observed in technique classes and perform in small groups in front of a panel of PAC Directors and guest judges on the final day. The audition process is a positive experience for dancers to learn how to present themselves professionally and support their teammates in a low-stress audition experience.
What are the time and travel commitments?
Each level of the PowerPAC team incorporates increased level of dedication and time commitment based on the dancers’ technical level, average age, and experience. Weekly routine rehearsals begin in September and run through the last regional competition. Our competition season begins in February and lasts through the first week of May.
- PAC dancers Levels III-VIII are required to participate in four or five regional competitions, perform in the Company Concert and Spring Recital. Weekly technique classes in both ballet and jazz are mandatory, as well as Jazz Company and all-company Production Rehearsals. Optional classes in all other dance techniques are encouraged; and included in PowerPAC members’ monthly tuition.
What is the cost to be a part of the team?
Monthly tuition for PowerPAC members includes unlimited classes and choreography/rehearsal fees for Jazz Company routines. Tuition rates are based not he minimum number of hours dancers are expected to attend each week based on level, with the opportunity to add-on numerous dance techniques at no extra cost. The tuition fee schedule can be found in the 2020-2021 PowerPAC Handbook.
- Dancers have the opportunity to perform in additional group routines, solos and duets/trios based on age and experience. These routines require additional time at the studio and rehearsal fees are billed on the 15th of the month. Each regional competition event includes entry fees that are charged per routine. The average cost per routine is as follows:
- Group: $50/routine Duet/Trio: $65/routine Solo: $115/routine
- Group competition costumes average $80/routine. Solo/duet/trio costume budgets start at $50; costume price point is determined on an individual basis in collaboration with families and choreographers. Routines may have specific tight, shoe and accessory requirements that are not included in the base costume fee.
- All PAC dancers Levels IV-VIII are required to own a purple team jacket. This jacket will be used for a minimum of three competition season and must be worn during all performance events and competition awards ceremonies.
- A yearly PowerPAC Membership Fee of $60 is paid at the time of auditions. This covers the cost of audition faculty, props and set construction, and the annual Company Concert.
What Performance and Community Outreach Opportunities are provided?
PAC dancers perform in the annual Dance.tech Company Concert and in both the Matinee and Evening performances of the Spring Recital. They are also featured in select roles in the Blacksburg Ballet’s production of “The Nutcracker” at the Moss Arts Center. In addition to regional and national competitions, students are invited to participate in several local events. Dancer favorites include Step-in’ Out, Virginia Tech Hokies halftime shows, Holiday and Homecoming Parades, School Showcases, and more! When the schedule allows, PAC members may also participate in optional dance trips. In previous years we have gone on a field trip to NYC to see a teammate dance in the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, performed at Walt Disney World, and aboard a Carnival Cruise.
Sprinng 2021 PowerPAC Schedule
Note: Blue PAC Rehearsals correlate directly with dancers’ Purple Pre-professional technique class times. Classes and rehearsals are kept separate in order to maintain the integrity of our pre-professional technique class curriculum.schedule grid spring 2021